Posts Tagged ‘UFC’

Carlos Condit sets timeline for return

Thursday, December 11th, 2014

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship or the UFC interim Welterweight champion Carlos Condit has been on the treatment table ever since he tore an ACL and a meniscus in a losing cause against the hard hitting Tyron Woodley at UFC 171 in March this year.

Having been passed fit enough to do light training, Condit has already hit the gym and is looking for a return to action as early as March or April next year.

Condit said that he has been given permission by his medical team to return t the gym and start doing some very light sparring and training. He added that, however, does not entail he will be as explosive in training as he is in matches and he has also been asked not to do anything quickly.

The former interim title holder, who lost the belt in a title unification bout against Georges St. Pierre, said that he can run a little, hit the mitts and do a lot of other basic things. But Carlos Condit admitted that it is still too early to go all out on anything as well.

The Natural Born Killer said that he can do jiu-jitsu from the ground, but he has to be careful about going for explosive takedown manoeuvres and things like that which can blow his knee out again.

Although he doesn’t have any opponent in mind for his return to action, but if things go according to plan and he doesn’t suffer any relapse of the injury, he has a tentative timeline on his mind for his return to the cage.

Carlos Condit said that at the moment, he is looking forward to getting back into the cage as early as his knee permits him to and is hoping for a spring return in March or April.

separator

CONDIT WANTS KAMPMANN FIGHT

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012

Carlos Condit would like to fight Georges St-Pierre this calendar year, but if St-Pierre is unable to make their expected November date, Condit will face someone else in combat – probably with Martin Kampmann.

Condit has been inactive on the UFC circuit since the beginning of February, when he conquered Nick Diaz to be UFC interim welterweight champion. That spell on the sidelines is expected to continue until eventually November, when St-Pierre hopes to return to UFC after recovering from torn knee ligaments. Whilst he’s not been fighting, St-Pierre has been busy (and keeping himself fit) by launching his own exercise programs online.

Nonetheless, if to the Canadian experiences another setback, Condit has admitted he’ll give up his shot on the belt in favour of having another fight. In its place he will be open to other opponents, with Kampmann strongly tipped after his win against Jake Ellenberger.

The pair have faced each-other before, with Kampmann fighting Carlos in his first UFC battle way back in 2009. That time it was Kampmann who was victorious, but Condit has learnt all sorts of UFC tricks and strategies since then, and must be confident in his own abilities.

“If it seems Georges can’t come into the ring in November, most likely, I will battle another fighter,” Condit advised Inside MMA. “I really need to battle Georges so that I can unify the belts, but there’s a few other guys that I would like to battle also.

“Martin Kampmann’s the only dude that I have dropped to within the UFC, the only real guy I’ve lost to in about the previous six decades, so I’d definitely want to beat him.”

separator

Condit waits for face-off with GSP

Wednesday, June 27th, 2012

Interim UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit last fought in February and won the title against Nick Diaz at UFC 143 and it was a really controversial fight and he had to face a lot of criticism regarding the event.

He is reported to have decided to spend the rest of this year to make his mark against Georges St Pierre, currently down on knee injury and is working hard on its recovery.

However he said he is not going to wait forever for this event and would look forward to taking a chance, one more time, against Martin Kampmann who ruined his debut appearance at the UFC. He happened to be the only guy to whom Carlos Condit had lost in the last six years. Hence he is hell-bent to take the revenge and clean his record of any loss.

At the time of his debut at the UFC in the main event of a UFC night dated April 1, 2009, Condit had to face Martin Kampmann. The match was close. The judges were in a fix but the decision finally took Kampmann’s side. Since then, he was an unbeatable against Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald, Cain Velasquez, Dong Hyun Kim and Nick Diaz at the latest season.

On the other hand, Kampmann has earned his spot by going on an impressive 5-3 score card to fight with the present star Carlos Condit. He wishes to fight for the title and be it Georges or Carlos, he is quite confident that he can face any one of them any time.

Hoping George will recover fully by November, Carlos and Georges will be facing each other and Kampmann would take on Johny Hendricks in a parallel match at the UFC main event the same month. This has been quite confirmed by the President of the UFC, Dana White.

Will Georges make it to the main event against Carlos Condit? The question is yet on the loose.

separator

Carlos Condit Causing Welterweight Headache

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012

UFC president Dana White’s decision to allow interim Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit to wait for Georges St-Pierre to return from injury without fighting in the meantime is a strange one. Not only does it not demonstrate consistency (Rashad Evans took a similar stance a few years ago that had ramifications for the heavyweight), but it also causes a real problem for the division.

Condit has already agreed to fight Johnny Hendrix after St. Pierre, meaning that Hendrix himself will not be fighting anytime soon. This has caused a bottleneck, with some of the top contenders choosing not to fight, the talent below has been forced into a difficult situation. Case in point is Jesse Ellenberger, whose six-fight winning streak was put to an end by the tough Dane Martin Kampmann at the weekend.

Many may argue that Ellenberger was well on the way to a title fight had things at the top of the roster had not come to a grinding halt. Indeed, he could have avoided the Kampmann fight and waited it out like Condit and Hendrix. He deserves great respect for staying active, but the only thanks he gets for it is a loss to his name and a bump down the rankings.

(more…)

separator

© 2014 Carlos Condit